[Dixielandjazz] Polarized views

Craig Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Sat Jan 31 19:15:39 PST 2004

Boy are the latest notes on Parker et. al. plus
the "Dead Musicians' Society" reminding me greatly of today's "PC"
(for lack of any good term) society. Seems every comment on the
news or in politics concentrates more on the differences between
groups in society than the (Greater number) of similarities. Has
anyone noticed we all have a lot more similarities than not.
We don't have horns protruding from our heads (except
for the"front line") more do we hang from trees or feed on lichen
(unless you're a Norwegian, stuck on a trip to the Arctic Circle).

Why is it ok to listen to Bach, Brahms, Beethoven et. al.
but not to Louis, Alphonse, and that group? If I had to
listen to new stuff, I'd have to buy records, I certainly
don't get anything but rap crap on my radio. or hyped up
pseudo-country that has as much to do with country
as Donald Trump has to do with Lil' Abner. (So my
similes are weird, ok.)

I can get a real boot out of a James P. piano roll, or
a 20's rendition of Senegalese Stomp and then the same
pleasure out of the L&H World's Greatest Jazzband
playing "Ode to Billy Joe" or "Up, Up and Away."

Good musicians play good music and find good tunes
regardless of vintage. I mean, hell man, when I heard
June Christy (or was it Chris Connors.) doing
Mountain Greenery in the '50's I thought "gee, that's
nice new(!) not realizing that it was an apple off an old tree.
Same with her "Lonesome Road" and loads of others.
Good musician, good tune, different era's, great result.
Notice that this example is the reverse of the TWGJB
example.

Guess I'll quit and go listen to records, can't choose between
Django, Bob Barnard, Allan or Warren V.BG, JJ or Bix, Louis, Lew W.
Butch T., Chet Atkins, Dmitri S. or Ludwig B. (Notice, some aren't dead.)

Regards,
Craig