[Dixielandjazz] Dave Littlefields Fake Books

Craig Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Sat Jan 31 16:24:58 PST 2004

Just to offset the possible wrong interpretation of my request for
the Firehouse JB Fake book, let me say first that I am a packrat
and collector of many things - some actually useful.

One of the latter is Dave Littlefield's Dixie Fakebook. I am
a proud new owner of same and am quite impressed with it.
Having yet to play from it, I can only say that at first perusal
it looks like it shall be our local group's main source. It
certainly relieves me of a lot of messy transcription and is a
far more useful format than any I had come up with myself.
Talking to Dave, it appears that he has been extremely dilligent
in verifying the chords etc. and his format is extremely informative
with much helpful detail whilst remaining clear/clean and LARGE
enough for these tired (old?) eyes even in the more poorly lit
venues.

And, importantly,  the price is quite reasonable.

This book allows me to spend my significant spare time but
severely limited patience in transcribing those tunes for which
I have so far found no adequate(!) printed sources for the more
arranged and somewhat rarer tunes such as
"Stampede", Hurricane", "Delirium" &  "Missouri Wobble"
or obscure ones such as Bonano's "Peculiar" and "Dirty Rag", or
 Santo Pecora's "Zero" and some of the "Wiggs" tunes.
Regards,

Craig Johnson