[Dixielandjazz] RE: editing cutting cut & splice

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 31 16:36:26 PST 2004

Tito wrote:

>I personally worked in the editing and mixing of all my LPs and CDs, as
>helper of my friend and producer a very talented and qualified
>"tonmeister"  - if you don't know what that means, the man is a
>graduated sound engineer AND also a graduated musician and maestro
>(orchestra director), versed in all the latest state-of-the-art
>technology as related by Jim.

I think this is key: if the person doing the editing and mixing is a
musician as well as a technical wizard, and if the work is done hand-in-hand
with the bandleader, the results can be great. We have the great good
fortune to record for Lake Records in England, where the owner, Paul Adams,
is himself a trad jazz musician. Working with him, we can be in total
sympathy and the endresult is as good as you can get without resorting to
measures that make the band sound any better than it really is.

Mike.