[Dixielandjazz] Good and Bad Music was Charlie Parker

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 31 18:56:19 PST 2004

>Kurt wrote:
>
> > Wasn't it Louis Armstrong who said, "There's two kinds of music - Good
>and
> > Bad."?

Yes, but he also referred to bop as "That modern malice" and "Chinese music"
- maybe he mellowed in later years! Actually, I think it was Duke who said
the good/bad thing: Louis did, however, famously reply to a lady who asked
him if jazz was folk music "All music is folk music - I never heard a horse
play anything!"

Mike