[Dixielandjazz] cut & splice Grandma

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat Jan 31 13:40:36 PST 2004

In a message dated 1/31/04 8:53:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com writes:

> Suppose the musician ( or the sound engineer) decides
> >that the `Flight of the Bumblebee` a trumpet player has recorded would be
> >`more exciting` played a bit faster, or a lot faster, and nudges the speed
> >on the recording up a bit. No problem now that the key doesn`t alter with
> >speed. How many would agree that was acceptable? Not many, I would hope.
>
> Well Pat, that happened a lot in the past due to the vagaries of recording
> equipment, tape speeds etc. Several QRS items by Clarence Williams play in
> the key of E major, when we know they were almost certainly originally in
> Eb, and arguments still rage over Louis' Cornet Chop Suey.....F or Eb? The
> original Okeh and most subsequent reissues play in E major, too. But no
> screams of outrage - it sounds marvellous at all three speeds/pitches. Not
> sure where that leaves us, though!!!

I have worked with a couple of Tired Trumpet players who ran out of Gas, this
technique would have been helpful lettying them keep up with the band :))

I don't like it however because it makes me play drums in and even odder key
than Snare Flat. :)

Cheers,

Speed it up Sam this is the Chimpmunks version of Dixieland Classics, alvin?
alvin? ALVIN?

Tom Wiggins