[Dixielandjazz] cutting & splicing on recordings

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 29 23:01:11 PST 2004

> "James Kashishian" <kash at ran.es> wrote (polite snip)

> I see I may have opened a can of words with a confession that I spliced
> a bit of recording!

Ha, Ha. That will teach you.

Actually, no, everybody seems to do it. Even though I said Barbone Street does not do it,
we actually did remove an epithet uttered by the Bass Player in our studio recording but
that was all. His utterance, clearly heard, on an overhead mike as he knocked over his
glass of Bombay Gin with his foot, were the dreaded MF words. So we took it out, but that
was it.

Our studio recording was single take, uncut, unspliced 12 tunes, 68 minutes of music done
in about two hours total time. We did leave one 8 minute song out, opting not to go for 76
minutes and we were going to play that same song at our live session 3 weeks later anyway.

There are some warts, but we felt so what? We are not worried about 1000 CD buyers hearing
a clam or two. Any more than Pee Wee Russell was worried about his 15 minutes of fame,
complete with his unique intonations, or Bird was about his reed squeaks. Does not
diminish their genius in the slightest. So for regular folks like us, it might even help.

As somebody famous once said: "In the long run, we are dead." So we figure we might as
well tell it like it was.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone