[Dixielandjazz] Cut and Paste Recording

Bigbuttbnd at aol.com Bigbuttbnd at aol.com
Thu Jan 29 18:28:37 PST 2004

Would any of you fail to run your posts through a spell-checker because you
felt it might compromise the 'art' of your writing to correct any clams you may
have made by mistake? (Keeping in mind that the spelling or mispelling
doesn't change your original idea... only the execution of it...)

What if you were going to SELL that writing? Wouldn't you make sure that you
spelled everything correctly before the book was published. Wouldn't you have
an EDITOR give you advice about how some sentences or structure might read
more clearly if you were to re-write or edit them? Would doing so be some sort of
compromise of your original thoughts on a subject? Would you place a label on
the book or a disclaimer stating "Warning! Portions of this book have been
corrected for spelling and grammar from the original manuscript!" No. Because
writing is an art that 'progresses' through a series of states... and writing
for profit (or manufacturing almost anything for profit) implies that the
product should be as good as possible; nipped, tucked, trimmed, POLISHED, tested,
corrected... RIGHT!

Shouldn't music follow that same flow? The only reason we think differently
about music than writing is we have only recently acquired the tools to easily
fix our mistakes when recording music whereas the tools for fixing our
'recorded' writing have been around for a long time.

~Rocky Ball
Atlanta