[Dixielandjazz] Recording techniques

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Thu Jan 29 18:22:43 PST 2004

Rocky Ball said :

"For years the pet peeve of all recording musicians was to play a hot
recording and
find that somebody (probably the clarinet player!) made a little mistake on
their part somewhere in the middle. If only we could go back in and fix that
one
little note! Instead, EVERYONE has got to play it again."

Back in the good old days of vinyl one of the bands I played with went to a
fancy (and horribly expensive) recording studio to lay down enough tracks to
fill an elpee. During the playback of one particularly complicated chart it
was discovered that the clarinet player had blown a glaringly wrong note -
we all groaned in anticipation of having to do it all over again, however
the recording engineer smilingly said that he could simply snip out the
offending note and drop in the correct one guaranteeing that nobody would be
any the wiser. He was right!

John Farrell