[Dixielandjazz] Cut and Paste Recording

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Thu Jan 29 14:19:42 PST 2004

 Kurt wrote:

> I've heard some bands that sound much better in person than they do on
their
> CD.  They are obviously much more relaxed in a performance setting without
> the pressure of the recording engineer doing his thing.

Kurt, this is very true.  Especially with us musicians who do not record
every day as the studio musicians do.

I remember making my first recording.  On the date was the great saxiphonist
Skeets Hurfert.  I remember how cool he was.  On multiple takes, he would
play the exact notes.  This while improvising.  He knew that by doing this,
it made any splicing,< which might have to be done, much easier.

I saw the same coolness shown in recording sessions by Bob Havens & Zeke
Zarchy.

Never under estimate the talent & experience of a studio musician who makes
his/her living by recording every day.  They are amazing.

Bob
mr.wonderful at ringwald.com