[Dixielandjazz] Cut and Paste Recording

Kurt bowermastergroup at qwest.net
Thu Jan 29 14:34:18 PST 2004

I've heard some bands that sound much better in person than they do on their
CD.  They are obviously much more relaxed in a performance setting without
the pressure of the recording engineer doing his thing.

Maybe this is because they are being paid to perform the concert, but are
the ones paying the engineer for the studio time, and feel pressure to get
it in one or two takes since the meter is running on the clock?

You bring up a good point Steve.  What about "truth in advertising"?  If I
buy a CD of a band that is recorded live in concert before an audience, I
expect to hear the music exactly as it was played and not "repaired" by a
recording engineer after the fact.  In such cases, perhaps there should be a
disclaimer on the CD case: "Portions of this recording were edited after the
fact to erase embarrassing moments the band didn't want preserved for all
time."

Kurt