[Dixielandjazz] Pee Wee Russell

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Thu Jan 29 16:46:21 PST 2004

At 10:20 AM 1/29/2004 +0000, john petters wrote:
>Bob said
>> The only thing that I disagreed with him on was, he liked Pee Wee Russell
>& I don't.
>
>Oh dear! Not even the wonderful Rhythmakers sessions from '32
>John Petters

Problem with judging Russell was that he was perfectly capable of playing
good "regular" clarinet, in which case he often/usually sounded fine. But
he had a thing he was trying to do--I have no idea what that was--and when
he did it, he usually soured up what otherwise might have been a fine
record. I could have lived with his stylistic thing, but not with the
sourness...I sit here shuddering just thinking about it...

--Sheik