[Dixielandjazz] Time Keeper -- Drums or Bass

Kurt bowermastergroup at qwest.net
Thu Jan 29 10:41:37 PST 2004

If the drummer is not the time keeper, why is he there? (don't start with
the jokes about the drummer being there only to get beer for the musicians,
etc.)

I have been playing drums for almost 40 years and have never before heard
anyone say that the drummer is not the time keeper.  And I have played with
a lot of great band leaders and sidemen all over the country.

The bass player and drummer must work together like a well tuned engine.  If
one's timing is off, it's time for a tuneup - or overhaul.  Is Mr.
Goodwrench a member of DJML?

Kurt