[Dixielandjazz] "The Song Is Ended" recording

Tom Saunders tcornet at webtv.net
Thu Jan 29 11:07:37 PST 2004

Listers....
I tried to send this a few days ago and I don't think it went through.
My machine was messed up. All better now, but please excuse me if this
is a repeat.

All the talk about "The Song Is Ended" made me find an album that I made
with Wild Bill Davison in 1971 for Jazzology. The album is called In A
Mellow Tone
(J-47) and the liner notes are worth the price. The writer talked about
the music,
the musicians, and all of Wild Bill's comments before, during and after
the
session. He was a funny man.

We recorded "The Song Is Ended" on that album. Bill took the solo and I
did the vocal. It worked. The tune was written in 1927 by Irving Berlin
and the recording that I remember of it was by a singer/piano player
named Nellie Lutcher.
I don't know what ever happened to her.
If she's still wih us, she would be 88 years
old now.

Hey...someone use to say, "be nice to one another. We're all we got".
Cheers,
Tom Saunders