[Dixielandjazz] Important News from the Bazooka Research Institute!

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Wed Jan 28 22:33:23 PST 2004

Hi all,

After the last week's flurry of discoveries and discussion about Bob
Burns and his Bazooka I was at the KFJC studio for our weekly staff
meeting. The Wednesday evening DJ Oscar Hox was having one of his
regular visits with Captain Kazoo, proprietor of the Internet Kazoo
Museum ( http://www.captainkazoo.com/museum.html ) so I asked the
Captain if he knew anything about the Bazooka.

He said "How about this" and gave me a CD by one Ormly Gumfudgin -
World's Only Living Bazooka Player!

Ormly is a Southern Californian, about 80 years old and was a teen-age
fan of Bob Burns in the 1940s. He has recorded a very folksy interview
and performance of a few tunes and demonstrations of his instrument. As
the liner notes say: "A Significant Chapter In Our Musical History!"
There is more info to be found at http://www.gumfudgin.com

I would have to review this CD as almost perfect for everyone ( if you
are adventurous and have more than a bit of curiosity about unusual
instruments.)

I was surprised that all of the internet searches I did last week had
absolutely no references to Ormly Gumfudgin or his Bazooka - maybe this
posting will help correct the grave oversight of those "Search-Bots."

Dave Richoux