[Dixielandjazz] RE: Drummer = Time Keeper (not always)

Kurt bowermastergroup at qwest.net
Wed Jan 28 21:55:19 PST 2004

Good points Steve, but of course if there is no drummer in the band, the
bass player must be the main timekeeper.  And if the drummer is not playing
with a bass drum, he must still keep time on what he has left of his set.
Without the bass drum being played, the bass player takes on a more
prominent role.

I have heard Tim's "I've Found A New Baby".  It is great. Listen close and
you'll hear Hal Smith doing his usual great job riding his bass drum.  Very
tasteful, not too much - just setting a pulse for the rest of the band.

A drummer that can't keep time is the worst possible thing I can think of.