[Dixielandjazz] Re: Band stage set up

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Wed Jan 28 15:51:33 PST 2004

My Two Cents worth.

As the band leader [ clarinet ], I like to position myself on the far right [ my
right ]  of the front line.  I place the banjo on the far left of the front line
because he needs to keep his fret board clear of players. I have him face "in" if
he is acoustic or turn his amp toward the front line  if he is hooked up to power.
The cornet and T-bone are in the middle.  the rhythm;  bass, drums and keyboard [
if a keyboard is used ], are behind us.

I like to be on the right because I can signal everybody without having to twist
from side to side.

In this configuration, I like the front line to be in a concave position so I can
see everybody.  So often, the the two center players gradually move forward [
especially if we have mics directly in front of the band ] and we become a convex
band in which I cannot see beyond the guy next to me on my left. So, sometimes it
becomes an effort to keep everybody in position   Thus, for me, front four in a
concave set up, rhythm behind.. We pretty much can all hear each other all the
time.

Every now and then I play in someone else's band in which they  set up
helter-sckelter and there is a hearing problem. I quietly move around until I am
close to the piano or the guitar or the banjo.  For me, hearing the chords is my
number one priority.

Russ Guarino