[Dixielandjazz] on stage delays (of a different sort)

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Wed Jan 28 15:48:36 PST 2004

I'm glad you brought that up, Dave.  If you've ever been a dancer, you know
the feeling just standing there while the musicians goof around.  And if
there is no dancing, it's still awkward, because the audience feels there is
some kind of action on the stand they are being left out of.
      I would say get a list of tunes together before you get on the stand
with the keys already decided.  If the players need charts, they can pull
them before you start the set.  You can insert requests as needed.
     Long pauses between tunes are awkward and unprofessional.  Just imagine
you're on TV or radio, and there is no announcer or commercials to fill the
gaps.
      Pat Cooke