[Dixielandjazz] on stage delays (of a different sort)

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Wed Jan 28 22:01:10 PST 2004

Dave asks:
What is the "best" interval between songs in  live performances
Also, generally how long should the breaks between sets be?

Real personal, from band to band, Dave.  What is best for one, could be
the worst for another.  I like to keep the music rolling, often counting
off a tune, or going into a 4 bar intro before applause has died down.
The occasional announcement of a title, or a "gracias" at the end, but
little chatter, other than that.

We try to do 45 minutes on, 30 minutes off, and normally do two sets in
the clubs.  Concerts are one set.....1 hr. 15 to 1 hr 30 minutes tops.
Our "intermission" is a set of songs in the middle of the show which
features one front man with the rhythm, then the other, then one song by
the rhythm section.  Gives a different sound than the other "full
ensemble" songs, and thereby treating the audience to a slight break.
It's not an effort for us, as we are used to it.

Is all that "best"?  For us, yes.

Jim