[Dixielandjazz] RE: Alberta Hunter early records

Alberto Martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Wed Jan 28 16:30:53 PST 2004

Bill Horton wrote:
<<<The only sample of her vocal work I have is a tape (duped from
somewhere?)
of her singing the super-raunchy "Handy Man."  It's a great cut and I
wish I
had more.>>>
Bill,

Try to find their early recordings, especially "Beale Street Blues",
"I'm going to see my Ma",  and "Sugar" with Fats Waller at the Organ.
Marvellous. She was here in Brazil two times, to sing at Club 150 in Sao
Paulo; one of these times about 1978  (she was 88 then!) I was seating
at the floor, no place at tables.
She has made a LP in '61 with Lovie Austin and band, very good too, with
Jimmy Archey, Darnell Howard, Jasper Taylor and Pops Foster.
She recorded with Eubie Blake, with Armstrong/Bechet's Red Onion Jazz
Babies, and with Fletcher Henderson and Clarence Williams.

Tito Martino