[Dixielandjazz] Symphonic baton technique

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 28 16:21:25 PST 2004

Listmates,

Steve B. writes:

>. . . the baton IS the boss.  There is no
>visual delay there whatsoever.  You crash your cymbal when the baton
>hits bottom.  The upwards stroke is your preparation...

I'm not sure I agree with Steve on this point (but what the hell, Steve and
I have disagreed before). Anyway, I don't believe the cymbal crash comes at
the end of the downward stroke of the baton. I think it starts at the
instant the baton starts to rise. It's as is the baton is "pulling" the
sound up with his baton, not "beating" it with his baton.

Bassist Ronnie Ray (over in Loch Long in Scotland) told me once that he
didn't like to play in the symphony because he felt the baton protocol
conflicted with his jazz concepts.

It is also my perception in observing conductors that such is the case.

I'd be interested in hearing you symphony players weigh in on this.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Not a symphony conductor" Gunter

jazzboard at hotmail.com