[Dixielandjazz] Tim Laughlin's CD

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Wed Jan 28 07:17:54 PST 2004

I second Dan Augustine's motion.It's a wondrful CD.  We're having Tim
Laughlin with pianist Tom McDermott and drummer Hal Smith for Pensacola
JazzFest, a small free jazz festival now in its 21st year.  We have a number
of attendees from New Orleans ( only 200 miles away from us folks who live
in the extreme western county of the FL Panhandle)  who come over because
they can remember the early days of the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage
festival when it was relaxed, uncrowded and had lots of jazz.  As they say
in New York, " It's so crowded, nobody hardly goes any more!"

Besides that, we're having another New Orleans clarinetist Evan Christopher
for that JazzFest upcoming the weekend of April 3-4. See our website for
details of other artists. He'll perform with various headliners for that two
day festival.

Norman Vickers
www.jazzpensacola.com

>Dan Augustine writes:
    He brought over a new CD he'd just gotten, called _The Isle of
Orleans_ by Tim Laughlin, and he couldn't stop playing it at work.
("So?")  I put it on the CD player and we sat there, feet tapping,
heads nodding, fingers jumping, for the first 4 or 5 songs, and i had
to agree with him--it was great.
     Besides Tim, there's Connie Jones on cornet, Rick Trolsen or
Lucian Barbarin on trombone, Tom McDermott or John Royen on piano,
Matt Perrine on bass or sousaphone (good solos, but kind of
muffled-sounding), Hal Smith on drums, John Eubanks on rhythm guitar,
Frankie Lynne on banjo, Neil Unterseher on banjo and vocals, Phillip
Manuel on vocals (some of the vocals by one of these guys have kind
of the flavor, if not quite the wit, of Jack Sheldon's vocals), and
Jason Marsalis on vibraphone.
     The tunes all cook like mad, and they're all good tunes, and
every one of the tunes was written by Tim Laughlin himself.  Some of
them make you think you're hearing a more famous tune (for example,
"March of the Uncle Bubbys" sounds like one of the New Orleans
street-marching songs, i just can't think of which one), but all the
tunes work.
     So, naturally i logged on to Tim's website and ordered the CD.
Here's the info: http://timlaughlin.com/ with clips of the tunes at
       http://timlaughlin.com/music.htm#IsleOfOrleans

    Tim Laughlin, "The Isle of Orleans" (Gentilly Records 162) April 2003

     I'm telling you, go get this CD.  I just played it for the third time.

Dan