[Dixielandjazz] Recording Jazz

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Tue Jan 27 10:25:02 PST 2004

>the engineer wanted to put the drummer IN A >DIFFERENT ROOM adjacent to the
rest
>of us.

    That's the way it's done now.  You don't need complete isolation,
usually a Plexiglas shield in front of the drums that's a little higher than
the tallest cymbal will usually suffice.  They are even using the shields in
clubs now so the sound man can balance things easier. (Please don't tell me
about sound men...I know!)
     Your band may be acoustic, but you still have to play into microphones
in order to record.  The shield is to keep as much drums as possible out of
the other players' mikes.  The drums are miked separately.  The guys in the
studio can still hear him but it allows a better balance in the final mix.
     Pat Cooke