[Dixielandjazz] ART

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Mon Jan 26 17:45:06 PST 2004

On Jan 26, 2004, at 4:33 PM, Stephen Barbone wrote:

>> "Mike Durham" <mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com>
>>
>> "Art is anything humans create" - thank you Steve, I will never look
>> at a
>> toothpick in the same way again!
>
> You're welcome. Is this a great list or what? ;-)
>
> Hey, if a 2000 year old Roman Chamber Pot is an Object d'Art, why not
> your more
> modern Toilet?

There are many exhibits and collections of well designed products in
museums all over the world - the art that is now usually called
Industrial Design involves many years of study and development of many
skills in illustration and sculpture, along with more practical
engineering and manufacturing knowledge. I studied ID for 5 years at
university level and worked in  that field for about 30 years as a day
job. I was usually able to work my music performance schedules in
during that time but now I have much more time for music ;-)

Also, for the finest in one form of the "Porcelain Arts" you might take
a look at this website: http://urinal.net   (and don't forget that
early Jazz Age Masterpiece by Marcel Duchamp on view at several fine
museums, including:
<http://www.sfmoma.org/collections/recent_acquisitions/
ma_coll_duchamp.html>

On a slightly different track - what about the artwork created by
various gorillas, chimps and elephants? I have heard that they sell for
much $ and have been exhibited in the finest galleries...

anyway - how about some OKOM compositions concerning "art" (besides
"Mona Lisa") - I can only think of a few...

Dave Richoux