[Dixielandjazz] ART

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 26 19:33:22 PST 2004

> "Mike Durham" <mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com>
>
> "Art is anything humans create" - thank you Steve, I will never look at a
> toothpick in the same way again!

You're welcome. Is this a great list or what? ;-)

Hey, if a 2000 year old Roman Chamber Pot is an Object d'Art, why not your more
modern Toilet? Why is a Movado watch in the Museum of Modern Art and not your Timex?
Why is a Ferrari Berlinetta art and not a Buick Aztec? etc. No, they are all examples
of Art.

Form follows function, no?

But now the question becomes "creativity". The first toothpick was indeed art. But
what about the copies? Bill G's toenail clipping in a frame is indeed art, but what
if you copy it?

Picou's High Society solo is art, but what if you faithfully copy it?

Me, I like Judie's definition. "Art is whatever the artist wishes it to be".

Cheers,
Steve Barbone