[Dixielandjazz] Pro musicians

Kimberly Shaffer KIMBERLY_SHAFFER at pgn.com
Wed Jan 14 10:47:16 PST 2004

Well,

I use the word professional to denote a musician who works for a living at being a musician,
that is to say that teaching or performing or creating forms of music is their job, as opposed
to a nonprofessional musician as someone who has a dayjob doing something else and plays,
teaches or performs music on the side, not for primary cash.  I don't use the word as opinion
on how well they play or perform.  With my terminology a professional musician could barely
play a note and have that note suck and still receive that nomer if that's what he did as his living.

Accomplished, wellsounding, and professional are different things to different people.

I suppose someone could say they are a "professional" at their job, meaning they have done it
so long and so well that they could perform in their sleep. Reading vocabulary in context is what
it's all about.

>>> "John Farrell" <stridepiano at tesco.net> Sunday, January 11, 2004 1:01:05 PM >>>
Why is it so important to some listmates to differentiate between
"professional" (whatever that may mean) musicians and the others? Does
something crucial hang on it? Do the inhabitants of the "pro" camp consider
themselves to be more accomplished musicians because of their perceived
status? Perhaps it is a superiority thing, this thread seems rather
pointless to me.

John Farrell