[Dixielandjazz] List Mate Links to Well Recognized Players

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 14 12:45:31 PST 2004

List Mates:

Here are the results of the "who we know" survey so far. Multiple
mentions in the same category are not shown, however mentions in 2 or 3
categories indicate more than one list mate responded with the same
link, but different relationship. Most of the "famous" players were
active in the 1950s/60s or before. The more recent great players are not
mentioned, but perhaps should be. These would include Jon Erik Kellso,
Ed Polcer, Kenny Davern, Bob Wilber et al. Final decisions on who to
include as "well recognized" are mine, with the advice of responders.
Results as of Noon, Eastern Standard Time in the USA.

If you don't see a name on this list that you have had contact with,
please write me off list and I will add it. I think there are many more
links. <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>

LIST MATES HAVE PLAYED WITH:

Tony Sparbaro, Phil Napoleon, Bob Haggart, Billy Maxted, Sidney Bechet,
Pee Wee Irwin, Bob Scobey, Turk Murphy, Lu Watters, Eddie Condon, Cutty
Cutshall, Wild Bill Davison, Coleman Hawkins, Barrett Deems, Roy
Eldridge, Yank Lawson, Walter Bishop, Gene Schroeder, Thelonius Monk,
Lee Gifford, Jim Beebe, Lou McGarity, Sal Pace, Andy Russo, Roswell
Rudd, Steve Lacy, Johnny Windhurst, Dave Frishberg

LIST MATES KNEW MORE THAN CASUALLY:

Charlie Parker, Thelonious Monk, Omer Simeon, Peanuts Hucko, Joe
Muryani, Pee Wee Russell, Wild Bill Davison, Bob Scobey, Wild Bill
Davison, Jim Beebe, Hank D'Amico

LIST MATES HAVE SPOKEN TO:

Bunk Johnson, Wilbur deParis, Joe Sullivan, Pee Wee Russell, Gene Krupa,
Charlie Ventura, Marty Napoleon, Teddy Napoleon, Miles Davis, Dave
Brubeck, Louis Armstrong, Edmond Hall, Benny Goodman, Buddy Rich, Max
Roach, Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald, Stan Getz, Count
Basie, Duke Ellington, Maynard Ferguson, Danny Barker, Lee Blair, Sidney
DeParis, Buzzy Drootin, Freddie Moore, Sam (the man) Taylor, Jay
McShann, Paul Desmond, Tony Scott, Buddy DeFranco

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
<barbonestreet at earthlink.net>