[Dixielandjazz] Re: Composer of Cherry

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jan 14 14:34:30 PST 2004

Dear Dick,
Thank you for your prompt email regarding "Cherry".
My mate John Farrll gave me your address and I was about to contact you.
I was involved with the Stomp Off 'Baker-Baldwin Radiogram Washboards' CD
(wrote the notes) but believe that Tony Baldwin would have provided the
composer credits. (I will dig out my notes from that time).
Your suggestion that "Ray Gilbert modified Don Redman's lyrics at some later
date." may well be spot on.
The 'first" line quoted in your extract from the Center for Popular Music at
Tennessee State University files ("No one in this world will ever take your
place") does not appear in the vocal chorus for any of the 1920s-30s
versions which have a first line: "Cherry, Cherry, you hard to get" or a
variation thereof.
However, "No one in this world will ever take your place" may be from a
verse, if one exists.
There is a May 1941 version of the song by Harry James (with vocal) on
Circle CCD5, but I do not have this to check.
I did a rough scroll through the Tom Lord index. Not too many vocals from
the 1940s on. However, there is a 1950 version by Al Hibbler with the
Ellingtonians which I have never heard. This may contain the 'Gilbert'
lyrics.
I hate unresolved mysteries.
Very kind regards,
Bill.