[Dixielandjazz] Composer of Cherry

Dick Baker box2 at twotonbaker.com
Tue Jan 13 10:55:32 PST 2004

Very interesting, this.

I never had the original sheet music on hand for this one, and it's not one
of the many titles that I've looked up in the Library of Congress copyright
files.  I suspect that Erdos got the Don Redman/Ray Gilbert from the
Baker-Baldwin Radiogram Wizards when he recorded them in 1993 and that we
didn't question it at the time.

I've just done some research using my usual tools.  Both Kinkle and
Lissauer ("Encyclopedia of Popular Music in America") cite just Don
Redman.  But another source that I've found quite useful is the Center for
Popular Music at Tennessee State University
(http://popmusic.mtsu.edu/research.html).  They report:

COMPOSER, LYRICIST, ARRANGER
Redman, Don
Gilbert, Ray lyr

TITLE
Cherry.

FIRST LINE
No one in this world will ever take your place,

IMPRINT
New York, NY : Peer-Southern Organization World-Wide Music Publishers, 1955
: 1928

DESCRIPTION
3 pp.

NOTES
This piece is included in a bound volume of professional copies of 481
songs published by Peer-International. This second edition of the "Big Blue
Book" was compiled and distributed in 1966 or later.

Generally, Tenn. State has index original sheet music, but this comes from
a later folio.  In my own record collection, the Redman-Gilbert pairing
comes up twice on "Cherry," both on recordings by Harry James.  And Bill
Haesler notes that Ray Gilbert was active in the '40s, much later than
"Cherry."

So here's an educated guess:  Ray Gilbert modified Don Redman's lyrics at
some later date.

--
   Dick Baker - Falls Church, Virginia, USA
             box2 at twotonbaker.com