[Dixielandjazz] Release/Bridge

Anton Crouch a.crouch at unsw.edu.au
Wed Jan 14 13:36:15 PST 2004

Hello all

As Wagner said, "honour our (musical) masters". The master in this case is
Don Ingle and I offer as evidence the entry in the OED for "release".

e. Jazz. A passage of music that serves as a bridge between repetitions of
a main melody. Chiefly U.S.

1936 L. DOWLING tr. Panassié's Hot Jazz: Guide to Swing Music 18 The group
of eight measures designated by the letter b is called the ‘middle part’
because it makes the first appearance in the middle of the tune.
[Translator's note] Also called, quite poetically, ‘the release’. 1937 New
Republic 24 Nov. 69/1 But then the band comes down to the release and Benny
holds up one finger and Jess nods.

All the best
Anton