[Dixielandjazz] E-mails, Websites & Survey

Tom Wood zenith at ans.com.au
Wed Jan 14 07:59:19 PST 2004

Listmates,

We have just returned back to Sydney from two weeks in New Zealand.  I have
managed to resist having a mobile (cell phone), do not carry a laptop and
did not want to unsubscribe from this list.  So daily visits to internet
cafes was necessary (between seeing a pod of six whales eating at the ocean
surface) with about 200 e-mails per day including our next tour stuff from
Europe and junk mail.

As I think Bob Ringwald mentioned once - the subject matter is important as
it assists in screening your emails.  (and saves money in the internet
cafes).   I have found that if I delete every email after scanning via
mailwasher (for Spam mail) without even reading them it takes 15/20 minutes
of internet time.  If I speed read a few (and maybe print them out) where
the subject matter interests me it takes about 30/40 minutes.  If I answer a
few immediately I have to stay in the cafe at least one hour.

I have found that if you have a website(s) and were foolish enough to give
your e-mail address that contributes to almost 100 Spam mail per day!!  I
notice in Europe now that some promoters are changing their addresses
regularly to try and eliminate Spam.

Most of us 400 had our biogs listed some ago so I am not sure what this
latest list is adding?!
My additional survey information is uninteresting as I have created my own
categories:

Jazzman (not musician)
Band manager (not leader) use "OUR" band and not "MY" band in discussions
Piano or keyboard player (not musician)
Fan of most except CRAP music although some Country and Western is OK
Occasional promoter and visiting bands landlord for OKOM & Art Deco Music
Atholl Brose maker and supplier under own label
Occasional Cohiba cigar smoker (mate of Fidel Castro)
and Highland Dancer

Tom Wood
www.ans.com.au/~zenith
www.euroclubdejazz.com/zenith