[Dixielandjazz] "The Release"

Jerry Gordon jerrygordon at juno.com
Tue Jan 13 15:05:54 PST 2004

As one who is well-schooled in musical arcania and the fine points of
notes, chords and such (at least to the extent necessary to maintain my
status as amateur washboarder), I looked up "release" in my Random House
Unabridged Dictionary (2nd Ed). Definition 15 says, in its entirety: "(in
jazz or popular music) a bridge."

To the best of my knowledge, this dictionary is also sold on the other
side of the Mississippi.

Jerry Gordon, Troy, NY - Web master for
http://www.timesunion.com/communities/jazz