Re. [Dixielandjazz] The Bridge

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 13 14:36:38 PST 2004

Patrick Cooke wrote:

> Begin the Beguine fits no standard pattern...One chorus of the tune is well
> over 100 bars....I lost the ability to count that high a few years ago.
> Each 'A' strain is 32 bars, then the "bridge" is 32 bars, another 32 bars
> after that, and just when you finally think it's going to end, it goes "Oh
> yes, let them begin the beguine! Make them plaaaayyyy...which goes on for
> another 32 bars, and with a 16 bar double ending you lose count.....Let's
> see, where did I put that calculator?
>    I used to play with a piano player who played 3 entire choruses. By the
> time he was done, so was I.

Yeah, good one Pat. I played a request for it on New Year's Eve and felt like
the Eveready Bunny that keeps on going and going and going. Right after that
someone else requested Sing Sing Sing. Oh my, what a night. :-)

Those long tunes crack the bass and guitar player's up. Halfway through, they
start whispering "Is it tomorrow yet","Are we there yet." or "Is the gig over
yet."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone