Re. [Dixielandjazz] The Bridge

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Tue Jan 13 13:03:05 PST 2004

Begin the Beguine fits no standard pattern...One chorus of the tune is well
over 100 bars....I lost the ability to count that high a few years ago.
Each 'A' strain is 32 bars, then the "bridge" is 32 bars, another 32 bars
after that, and just when you finally think it's going to end, it goes "Oh
yes, let them begin the beguine! Make them plaaaayyyy...which goes on for
another 32 bars, and with a 16 bar double ending you lose count.....Let's
see, where did I put that calculator?
   I used to play with a piano player who played 3 entire choruses. By the
time he was done, so was I.
   Pat Cooke