[Dixielandjazz] Re: High notes and Poll

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Mon Jan 12 22:35:21 PST 2004

Leslie....
      You're right about Maynard.  I saw Stan Kenton's band live in the 49's
when Maynard was a youngster with the band.  At that time, he could actually
play up there with enough control to play an actual melodic line in the
stratospheric register....But not too long afterward, it seems he
deteriorated into just squeaking out meaningless high notes that he had lost
the ability to even sustain.
      Pat Cooke