[Dixielandjazz] Re: High notes and Poll

LeslieMRag at aol.com LeslieMRag at aol.com
Mon Jan 12 16:12:09 PST 2004

Hi:

Mark me down as one who finds really high notes distasteful and painful. Just
because someone can do it doesn't mean he/she should. Maynard Ferguson may be
a fine musician but he's not one I find appealing due to the screamers he
produces. I can take high notes from Louis Armstrong because he was intrinsically
so musical, and Kenny Davern is one of the few musicians who can pull off
high notes on the clarinet without me wincing, but mostly I think high note
players are just showing off at the expense of the music. Ditto for piano thumpers.

Also, forgot to let you know that there's a new poll on The Mississippi Rag
web site. This one's on drummers. To vote, just log onto www.mississippirag.com
and click on "Online Poll."

Leslie Johnson
editor at mississippirag.com OR