[Dixielandjazz] Themes - bridge

Bryan Livett livett at rogers.com
Mon Jan 12 22:16:09 PST 2004

Hi Rebecca:   Yes, the bridge is a theme.  Many popular songs which form the
basis of much of our music are built on the classical music symphonic model
AABA, also called sonata form, where A is one theme, is repeated, then B is
a contrasting theme (the bridge) and then A is repeated again to complete
the chorus.  These usually take the form of 8 bars, the same 8 bars
repeated, an 8 bar contrasting bridge and then the first 8 bars again.  In
Europe the bridge is often called the "middle 8" even though it doesn't
mathematically fit in the middle; go figure!  Think of "Ain't Misbehavin";
two identical eight bar phrases, a different eight bar phrase then the first
phrase again to complete the song.

Of course many of the tunes we play are based on blues, 8- 12- 24- and
32-bar blues, no bridge (except, of course where the composer has inserted
one!) and then you have Cole Porter who almost never followed the AABA
format but usually inserted a contrasting passage (or two) to make things
interesting.

Cheers

Bryan