[Dixielandjazz] Bagpipes & Banjos

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 12 19:18:09 PST 2004

This latest post from Norrie reminds me that sometime back Dan Spink wrote:

"The first banjo (Carolinas, where the Scots settled) was a 5-string. The
fifth string was supposed to mimic the drone of the bagpipes. Weird or
what?"

Not weird at all - the Scots are always droning on about something or the
other - porridge, William Wallace, whiskey, Independence, that sort of
thing...... no wonder the Emperor Hadrian built a wall across England to
keep the bagpipes out.

Just joking, Norrie!  :-))

Mad Mike McDurrum