[Dixielandjazz] sensual instruments

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 12 17:23:22 PST 2004

Listmates,

Kash wrote:

> > Our bassist often comments that the girls like the action of the
> > trombone slide.  I always thought it was his over-testeroned imagination
> > that created that idea, however, I saw a movie awhile back (can't recall
> > the title now) where one of the better known Hollywood ladies commented,
> > after leaving the dance floor in the movie, that she never realized how
> > sexy the in & out action of the trombone slide was...........

He also added:

>Eat your hearts out, youse washboard scrubbing guys!   Scraping & scrubbing
>just ain't the same as slippin' and slidin'.

I'm not so sure. To me the image of a washboardist gently stroking the
flanks of his/her favorite instrument evokes thoughts of erotic sensuality!

On the other hand, to me EVERYTHING evokes thoughts of erotic sensuality!

and Brother Don wrote:

>What about a bass player playing arco?

note: "arco" means "to use the bow" as opposed to plucking the strings. I
say this because here in Sacramento our main community sports arena (where
playeth the domineering Sacramento Kings) is named "Arco Arena" (funded by
the giant gasoline company).

In Sacramento a bass player playing arco could mean that he's really hit the
big time!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "pant pant pant pant" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com