[Dixielandjazz] Re: Clarinet High Notes

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 12 12:08:15 PST 2004

john petters wrote:

> > To me, Kenny Davern, is one of the all time greats, who speaks volumes
> through his
> > horn.
>  Amen to that. He is his own man. No clone. He understands hot jazz and
> given the right rhythm section, sails and roars. He made a great album with
> Art Hodes & Don De Michael some years ago which cooked. Also Jazz at the New
> School on soprano sax with Krupa, Condon, Dick Wellstood & Wild Bill.. Well
> recommended!
> He is an inspiring musician to play with.

Yes, inspiring even if you are another clarinet player standing next to him.
Awhile back I posted my own experience playing with him at a "friendly" cutting
session. He certainly gave me a lesson, in front of my fiancee who said. "He
plays better than you do." That was 1961, I married the girl in 1962, admiring
her honesty, among other things.

We are still married and in 2002 we went to see Kenny as a concert. He saw us
at a front table, beamed, offered me his horn in two outstretched arms. I
immediately stood up, fell to my knees and touched head and hands, palm down,
on the floor, politely declining. Broke up the audience who were familiar with
us both, but had no idea we knew each other. Bought his latest CD which he
inscribed to us: "To Martha & Steve: Here's to another 40 years of music and
happiness."

Besides, not being a fool, I rationalized in the words of Pres (Lester Young)
"I don't dig being dug when I'm digging".

Some of the things Kenny did, with his Albert system clarinet, (before he
really got famous and switched to a Boehm) at Nick's in NYC were astounding to
all of us in the 1950s. He was closer to a New Orleans clarinetist then, but
like many, grew out of it and prospered with his very own personae.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone