Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Pro musicians

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Mon Jan 12 08:11:18 PST 2004

The desire of some DJMLers to have a "professional" category is not
understandable to me. In grad school we argued about whether or not "advertising" was,
or could be a "profession" and got deeply into what a profession is and isn't.
It usually ended up with someone referencing law, teaching and medicine for
identification marks such as state controlled administration, independent
association to assure quality, etc. But in the final analysis, who cares? We need
to license doctors, lawyers and real estate agents so they don't get away with
screwing over the innocent and naive people who depend upon them. But who
depends upon a dixieland band for anything except pure pleasure? If it's all about
making your living doing it, (vs. only some money sometimes, or even no
money), what about some of the really competent players who left music to support
their families yet play extremely well? I will never forget working in a
department store in Champaign, Illinois, while going to college and one of the sales
clerks pointed out another clerk with very thick glasses. "See that guy?" he
whispered, "He used to be the drummer for the Red Nickels band but his eyes
got so bad he had to stay here for a job." So what are we trying to do here,
folks?

Dan (piano fingers) Spink