[Dixielandjazz] DJML Member Survey & Bios

Jeanne Brei TinPanAlleyCat at cox.net
Sun Jan 11 22:19:09 PST 2004

Hey Jerry, Hey Kurt,
    I am in the next generation of Dixielanders -- not quite as young as
Kimmy - but younger than most everyone else! I began life as a professional
tap dancer (including a stint with the American Tap Dance Orchestra in New
York) and singer (Great American Songbook & Broadway stuff). My mother's
family are all musical and we all studied instruments as kids -- I took
piano and saxophone but couldn't never get myself to sit still long enough
to practice. I "discovered" Dixieland when I sang the sort of sing-alongs
songs I learned at Shakey's Pizza Hut in Colorado Springs at a monthly jazz
meeting I was invited to in Denver. Two bandleaders came up and asked me to
sing with their bands (I was still a teen) and I began singing with the
Boomtown Stompers in Denver as a result. From there, I've sung with Dixie
bands in Chicago and New York (Smilin' Jack Meihlan's band and Bob
Cantwell's Stompers at the Red Blazer Too).
    I try to attend at least 3-5 festivals every year and frequently work as
a volunteer (emceeing at the Sweet & Hot, hosting Access Sacramento's
television shows for three years, etc.) to afford my trips -- since I don't
have a "real" job outside of performing and producing. For my bio, please go
to http://hometown.aol.com/jmbrei/myhomepage/resume.html

thanks,
Jeanne Brei
Tin Pan Alley Cat Entertainment
Las Vegas, NV

P.S. I am mostly a lurker just because I enjoy what I learn from this
site -- and I don't really have a lot to say...