[Dixielandjazz] Re: Oh Yes, Washboards!

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Sun Jan 11 18:33:19 PST 2004

For all of us - Please Remember:

This list is mostly about a form of music that was mostly created by
some young men and women (mostly black ) who played their music in
whorehouses, bars and street corners of New Orleans and then other
cities and towns of the USA - the outstanding chance that this very
particular kind of music was suddenly picked up and generally accepted
by the mass population of North America and Europe (and later much of
the rest of the world) and became the major form of popular music for
most of the 20th Century (if you follow the blues/jazz/Big
Band/country/R&B/Rock'n'Roll development path) is most incredible!

To quibble about minor variations in the instrumentation (i.e.
washboards, jugs, kazoos, etc.) that actually were very much a part of
the basis of the original jazz and blues recordings would be most
unlike us - this list has ALWAYS been about the Roots and the Branches
of what we call OKOM.

If Brian chooses to unsubscribe (for whatever reason) the list will
survive. He may just be going on vacation for a while.

  OKOM  will continue even in the 21st Century - just take a look at the
number of web sites and new musical groups that are dedicated to such
supposed obscurities as the Wash-tub Bass, Harmonica, Scat Vocals, Rub
Board, Old-Time Fiddle, Shape Note Singing, Western Swing, Brass Band,
Ragtime Piano, Jug Bands, Barbershop Quartets and many more!  The music
is not going away, no matter how hard the big corporations try to make
us a "Unified Pop World."

Keep on with the struggle! and Enjoy The Music!

Dave Richoux