[Dixielandjazz] Re:Hearing loss - Loud music (Mike Short)

Shortuba at aol.com Shortuba at aol.com
Sun Jan 11 18:07:44 PST 2004

Guys -

There is indeed a controversy rippling through the music world about decibel
levels in all sorts of musical situations.  I've done a fair amount of
orchestra playing, and in the article that was quoted they complain about the bass
trombonist being the culprit.  Having played that instrument myself, I'm guilty
of committing loudness.  The joke goes: "What are the volume settings on a
bass trombone?  Two - On and Off."  I have a friend who is the bass boneist in
the San Fransisco Symphony.  During a rehearsal, the tubist (also a friend and
fellow Iowan) slammed his horn down and said "Don't you EVER play that loud
next to me again!" and stalked off the stage.  The conductor hadn't noticed
anything wrong.

But I know tubists who actually practice with a decibel meter in front of
them.  I can usually sustain 105 to 110 db for short (ha ha) periods, but I only
practice that way so it is easier when I back off into the 95 to 100 range.  A
lot of guys think they MUST play in that louder range.

I have about 20% hearing loss in my left ear, but I know exactly when that
happened - we have an every Monday night big band here in Des Moines that I used
to play in, and the room is small and trumpet players just LOVE to play loud
(as well as high) and a trumpet near my ear caused actual pain.  The one
setting that I have played in (besides brass quintet) where I never hear too much
sound is in trad and Dixie bands, any of the settings where we play OKOM.
Unless I end up too close to the drummer....that's why I try to sit to Kurt's
right.  It's the ear that doesn't work well.

Mike Short
Des Moines
tubist Party Gras band