[Dixielandjazz] Successful musicians

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Sun Jan 11 16:43:27 PST 2004

>Perhaps it is a superiority thing, this thread seems rather
>pointless to me.

    I agree.....I think we should be saying 'successful' instead of
'professional'.  There are many 'Professional' musicians who are good at
booking gigs, but cannot really play well.  There are many excellent players
who don't make a living at it.  If making money is your principal goal, then
you are successful if you can do that.  If being a good player is your goal,
you can be a success at that, but maybe not make much money.  Success is
achieving your goal.  You can live on other income and still be a successful
'musician'.
     Pat Cooke
     Pat Cooke