[Dixielandjazz] High notes in OKOM

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Sun Jan 11 15:09:15 PST 2004

    I mainly play bass now, but up until about the fifties I played
trombone.  I never had much of a lip that I could depend on, but if I could
have hit those screaming high notes, you can bet I would have done it
whenever I could work it in.
    Occasionally....make that rarely...I would magically have a lip that
could get into the upper registers, and it was GREAT!  I tried to figure out
what I was doing differently, but no matter what, the next day the magic
chops had fled, and I was back to Bb (one octave above the staff) and below.
    I won't put the screamers down...I think it's exciting.  And I believe
anybody who could......would.....proudly!
   Showing off??? You Bet!!  I just wish I could...and so do the rest of
you!
    Pat Cooke