[Dixielandjazz] FW: dangerous bones!

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Sun Jan 11 15:42:49 PST 2004

There have been four unfortunate trombonists -
Charlie Green, who "found himself locked out of his house ...and froze to
death while sleeping on the doorstep." Not true - his death certufucte shows
that he died of tuberculosis (see my book, "Jazz and Death. Medical Profiles
of Jazz Greats").
Martin Carroll was "killed when the car in which he was being driven pulled
iup suddenly, throwing him forward on to his trombone...and penetating his
lungs".
Edie Vincent, who "was going down a rickety staircase...[when] his trombone
fell from his grasp and he was killed in the fall." (all from Brian Rust in
"The Guinness Book of Music", ed 2).
and, of course
Major Glenn Miller, who vanished en route from England to France in 1944.
What happened is unclear.Three books have been written about this-Wilbur
Wright, "Millergate" and "The Glenn Miller Burial File", and David
Wright, "Millergate. The Final Solution", which needless to say, it is not.
Cheers.
Fred .