[Dixielandjazz] Altissimo on Clariet

Harold Smith s3856lpa at webtv.net
Sun Jan 11 13:19:21 PST 2004

Steve Barbone referred to Kenny Davern as his hero, and, amen, he
certainly is one of my major ones as well.  He is the only player I've
heard so far to consistently exceed the altissimo C (on the clarinet)
with absolute assurance.  At the Central Illinois Jazz Fest about 15
years ago, I heard Daverne finish off a sultry, languid version of
"Indiana" played in Ab (concert) with an double-astounding high F above
the altissimo C.  The sheepish grin on his face at this feat indicated
he wasn't too sure if it would happen, but, by God, it really did.

Aside from this ability, Davern displays a unique tone, a unique
concept, a creative mind, and a marvelous technique.

I'd also add that Eddie Daniels, though not one of my all-time clarinet
heroes, navigates in the altissimo like it was the easiest thing in the
world to do.  His command of the horn is second to none, and, in the
modern varnacular, he is nothing if not astounding.

Leave us not (as they say in Brooklyn) forget the wonderful Buddy
DeFranco, and the great Alan Vache, who are in different jazz worlds,
but who can dance around the altissimo with ease.

But, after having said all of that, what point, other than virtuosic
display, does  this high note playing bring to the quality of the music
being played?

Harold "I can't play that high" Smith