[Dixielandjazz] FW: dangerous bones!

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Sun Jan 11 17:29:42 PST 2004

Dave Hanson recently sent me the often seen post about the dangers of
sitting in front of a trombonist.  I answered him with.......

Dave, apparently that story has been on the internet for quite some
time, and is a hoax.

I went on to say:

 I did hit a lady once.....at the Rouge Et Noir in Seal Beach, CA.....in
my youth.  I hit her right in the throat as she walked in front of my
slide.  She fell to the floor gagging with a collapsed windpipe, and an
ambulance actually had to come and take her away!   That would have been
in 1959....with the South Frisco.

I am very aware of where my slide is now, and can come very close to
approaching crowds, but never hit them.  They might get a bit of spray
for a leaky spit valve, but that's just part of the joy of listening to
Jazz.........:>
Jim

Then, Dave wrote back with an even better story, which you all might
enjoy reading:

James,

I thought it might be a hoax, but that's why I sent it to you guys. I've
never hit anyone but  had the slide yanked off buy a drunk and he
flipped it across a club. I rushed to Giardenelli's the next morning to
get the slide fixed while I waited. That night the same guy came back in
and caught me again. The waiters took him outside the place and beat the
crap out of him, so I found out later. The club owner bought me a new
horn, that was the amazing part !

Regards, Dave Hanson

Has anyone else got some good "slide stories"?

Jim