[Dixielandjazz] Re: Definition of Professional Musician

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 11 11:01:16 PST 2004

Absolutely agree with Kurt. "Successful" is most accurately defined by the
person it applies to. So, your own definition of success is what counts.

Individual success may be:

fame and money . . . so Kenny G is successful. or

mastery over the instrument . . . so Cecil Taylor is successful or

audience popularity . . . so Michael Jackson is successful or

being a change agent . . . so Louis, Bird, Miles and the Beatles were all
successful.

IMO success is what ever YOU want it to be. You set the goal and if you
achieve it you are successful. What everybody else thinks is immaterial. If
Van Gogh saw himself as successful with his creations then he was.  If that
was the case, then the fact that he only sold one painting during is life
time was meaningless.

I was merely trying to take the "Monetary" aspect out of the definition of
"What is a 'professional' musician?" IMO, Whether one makes a living at it or
not is immaterial, because many professionals, especially in jazz, do not
make a living at it, yet they are extraordinarily talented and quite
professional. Van Gogh is the perfect analogy in visual art. He never made a
living at it, and was subsidized all of his life by his brother and friends.
Yet he was an artistic genius. Certainly we could not describe him as
anything other than a professional artist.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone