[Dixielandjazz] Re: School Band Directors

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Sun Jan 11 07:35:29 PST 2004

The movie "Mr. Holland's Opus" also illustrates that there is more to music than
OKOM. While trad jazz is my number one interest, I also recognize there is a lot
more that folks want to do with music out there.  Example:  remember the kid
that could not keep a beat?  Holland's goal was to teach him how to play a bass
drum.

By the way, many HS teachers, to provide the opportunities desired by high
schoolers, will give the small garage bands help with their guitar bands, even
though the teacher himself may be poles apart from having an interest that type
of music.  A band teacher serves all the kids, not just the ones closest to his
musical interest.  It is a heck of a challenging job.

Russ Guarino